Monday, 27 February 2012

Vintage Style Birthday Cards

Having added our lovely stash of vintage goodies to the website I have had some fun trying it out.

I love the faux gems in antique brass settings, no-one can, or should, resist a bit of bling and I am pleased with the general colour scheme. I used the same cream lace on the cameo card but combined it with a darker ribbon and pearls, which are another item never to be resisted. These flatback, self adhesive pearls are quick and easy to use and provide the perfect finishing touch.











Both cards would work equally well with different greetings such as 'Best Wishes' 'Thank you' or even 'Mothers Day'. It's not obvious from the photos but the cards are significantly different sizes. The left hand card is a 12cm square whilst the other is A5.
All the materials used are available from our website http://www.wildwarehouse.com/

 











Monday, 6 February 2012

Altered Art Boxes part 3

I finished four of the boxes yesterday and am quite pleased withe the way they look. I gave the varnish 24 hours to dry completely and then finished off the boxes with ribbon and one with a gold tassel, which I love. My daughter is currently working on a box with a cherry blossom tissue design and quilled cherry blossom on the lid, I will post a picture when it is complete.




The steps to complete the boxes are:
  • Gently sand the surface of the box if it has a glossy finish
  • Paint the box with matt emulsion
  • Cut the paper napkin to size/shape and peel off the two back layers of tissue
  • Paint the surface that's going to be decorated with PVA glue
  • Carefully apply the tissue and brush more glue over the top gently smoothing out air bubbles
  • When the glue is dry cover the whole box with clear varnish
  • Add any decorative items

Saturday, 4 February 2012

Altered Art Boxes part 2

I've spent most of the day working on these boxes and have one finished item and others at various stages of drying.
After I'd painted the boxes white, I cut decorations from paper table napkins, and removed two of the napkin layers leaving only the very thin top layer with the design on. I painted PVA glue onto the area of the box that I wanted to decorate and carefully laid the fine tissue layer onto it.
The glue soaks into the tissue and makes it quite fragile so you have to work carefully and brush more glue onto the top of the tissue smoothing from the centre of the piece of tissue outwards to remove any air bubbles and wrinkles. It's quite tricky but I got better at it as I went along. Make sure that you use a glue that dries transparent. Then leave it until the glue is dry.

Here's a box just after the tissue layer has been applied to the lid  alongside the table napkins that were used to decorate it.
I found the glue dried quite quickly so I varnished one of the boxes,unfortunately I had bought the wrong type of varnish as it had an amber colour. A quick shopping trip to the art supplies shop and I had clear varnish so pressed on and varnished two of the boxes.

These boxes have both been varnished, the orange daisy box is finished, but I want to add some ribbon etc to the gold box.
Hopefully I will be able to show you some more finished boxes tomorrow.

Altered Art Boxes

I have been wanting to try out a new technique for a long time now, I read about it in a magazine about 18 months ago but never managed to find the time.
After working on a couple of vintage style cards recently it renewed my interest in this technique for decorating boxes.
I have no idea how they will turn out but decided to blog as I go and let you see the results good or bad...
I always keep gift boxes and packaging in the hope that I can somehow recycle it so the first step was to collect up all the boxes from the backs of drawers and wardrobes.

They are all cardboard of one type or another and a lot of them have a glossy finish so I started by gently sanding them with a very fine grade sandpaper to give them a better surface for painting.
The next step is to paint the outside of the box with white, matt, emulsion paint, they all needed two coats of paint to give a good cover.


Luckily being in Dubai I could sit outside and do this which helped the paint to dry quickly too, even so this project will be spread over several days to allow drying time for each of the stages.
Well that was all yesterday, and today I am looking forward to a more interesting job as I start to decorate the boxes.
I'll be back later to show you how it went.